Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Another new NEIGHbor!


You would think that it would be no big deal to have a new baby at the barn, but each time it happens, it is like a party around here. First, I think that it is absolutely amazing that an animal that small can have a baby that big inside them. Secondly, WOW isn't nature grand! This is our newest and most "special" little friend. He had some trouble in the beginning, but seems to be gaining his own quickly. Tiny Tim (his name says it all) was carried in the uterus with his front legs tucked under him. Because of that position his tendons in his ankles (hocks) aren't stretched enough to let him walk and stand normally. With time that will hopefully correct itself. May need braces but should be fine. Secondly, Tiny Tim wasn't strong enough to stand and nurse. To make a long story short....I located a breast pump....worked with him on a few times....fed him with a bottle....and last night between the 3 and 6 o'clock feeding he is strong enough to nurse himself. HOORAY!!! I knew all that LaLache training would come in handy someday.

3 comments:

Beth said...

Nursing a horse Kristin? You are wonder woman! :)

Kristin said...

I wasn't personally nursing Tiny Tim....I hope I didn't give that impression. I was just using all of the same techniques I was taught to use with a human baby.

Jill H said...

WOW!! this is so very, very, cool, Kristin!! i wish we lived closer because i would be over there bottle-feeding with you!! how fun :)